A Gantt chart, mostly used in project management; it is one of the most popular & useful modes of displaying activities shows against time. All activity is represented through a bar; the position & lengths of the bar and reflects to the start date, duration or end date of the actions. On the left side of the chart is a list of the processes or along to the top is a suitable for time scales.
History of Gantt chart
In the starting Gantt chart were created laboriously via hand; all time a project changed it was compulsory to improve or re-draw the chart & this limited their utility, continual change being a feature of more projects. The first Gantt chart was invented in the mid-1890s.Some of 15 years, after Adamiecki, “Henry Gantt”, an American engineer & management advisor, devised his own versions of the chart or it was that became wide range known & popular in “western countries”. Todays, Gantt charts are most usually used for tracking the project schedules.
How to Create a Gantt chart in Excel sheet
Create an Task Table
Listed all task in your project in starting date order from starting to end. Involve the task’s name, beginning date, duration, or end date. Create your list as accomplished as possible. Because of Excel’s limitation, adding steps and extending out might force you to reformat your whole chart.
Construct a Bar Chart
On top menu, select Insert, & then click on Bar chart icon. This will inserted a blank chart onto your spread sheet.
Add a Start Date data.
- Position of your mouse over the blank Excel chart or right click. Then, left click on “Select Data”. Select Data Source window will displays.
- Under Legend Entries, and click on Add. This will take you to “Edit Series” window.
- Click in the blank Series name: – form field first, & then click on table cell that reads Starting Date.
Next, add Durations column using same process you used to add started dates.
- Under Legend Entries clicks on Add.
- Click in the blank Series name: – form field first, & then click on the table cell, that reads the Duration.
- Click on icon at end of the “Series values” field.
Changes dates on the left side of the chart into a list of tasks.
- Clicks on any bar in the chart, & then right click, or open Selected Data.
- Under Horizontal Axis Labels, and clicks on edit.
- Using your mouse and highlights the names of your task. Be careful not to involve the name of the column itself task.
- Hit on OK.
- Clicks OK once again.
- Format the Gantt chart
- To gives your Gantt chart more space and deletes the Start Date, Duration legend on right. Selects with your mouse, and then hit on delete.
- Right click or choose Format Data Series.
- Click on the Fill and select No fill.
- Click on Border Colour and select No line.
You are almost completed. You just required removing the empty white space at the started of your Gantt chart:
- Hits on the 1st Start Date in your data table. Right click over it, and select the Format Cells, & then General. Write down the number of you see. In my case it is 41334 clicks Cancel because you do not need to actually make and any change.
- In Gantt chart, select dates above the bars right click & choose Format Axis.
- Change Minimum to Fixed and enter the number you recorded.
- Changes the Major unit to the Fixed and enter 2, for all of other day.
- Select Close it.
Many of Reasons to Use the Gantt Charts:
Gantt chart Advantages
- Avoid the Completion of Confusion:
The Gantt charts were created to keep users on path, providing a visual time line for beginning and completing specific tasks. Through providing a visual overview of milestones & other key of dates, these charts are idea to offer a more understandable& memorable method of maintaining the timescale based tasks & deliverable whether tracked on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Keep everyone on Same Page:
Where, there is visual frame work for the work to be complete, there are less chances for miss-understanding, especially when it comes to extremely complex projects. Using Gantt charts permits all types of neutrals to have the same data, set reciprocally understood expectations, & conduct their efforts according to the desired rule.
- Understands the Task Relationships:
These charts can create clear how many tasks are inter-related & perhaps trust on the finishing of another to meet particular objectives. These project relationships revolve throughout understanding the timing of all tasks, which then impacts other task listed. This can be better assure the optimal work flow, maximized productivity & each of all project successes.
- Effectively Allocated Resources:
Via being able to look ahead on Gantt chart, users can clearly thought where resources requires to be anticipated, allocated and shared to be maximize the use of respected resources. The more of closely chart is followed; the good chance there is of keeping the project costs within budgets while also better assuring on time finished.
- Get a control on the Future:
Although it is often easy to get catch up in day-by-day task as detailed on a chart, Gantt chart advantage’s involve helping decision makers look further ahead to ensure all given projects is working toward the accomplishment to the organizations long term strategic objectives.
What are Gantt Chart Limitations?
For those Gantt chart faultfinders mentioned earlier, this method is not designed to the cure every for an organization’s project management problems. There are some conditions where other tools might be indeed more effective especially in scenarios when a special milestone and critical task is missing because the project manager did not involve. Other limitation involves the inability to include certain constraints like scope, time, or costs.
Use the Gantt Charts More Effectively Using Creatively
One reason, peoples are loath to use the Gantt chart is because of the deficiency of drawing tool. They commonly come packaged with expensive project management tool that are not suitable for normal Gantt charts.
Creatively make it too easy to draw Gantt charts through providing you Gantt chart templates & simple drag or drop interface to draws the Gantt charts.