Project management plan is a planning of writing document, capturing the complete project end-to-end, covering completed project phases, from initiation by planning, execution & closing. A comprehensive examination plan is binds at least the followings field or elements:
- Overview: Why the task is being carried on & its primary objectives.
- Scope: Business needs, deliverables, requirements, constraints or work breakdown structure.
- Schedule: Activities of scheme or project milestones.
- Quality: Quality measurement & control approach.
- Costs: Project budget or its funding approach.
- Project squad: The souls are working on the project; their roles &responsibilities.
- Communicating: Communication character, channels & the reporting approach.
- Risks: Risk indexes, modes to identify & measure risks, risk moderation or contingency planning.
- Procurement: Required procurement or purchase processes.
- Closure: Closure approach, admitting the deliverables hands-off rules.
- Changes: Processes used to path of alterations in the project.
- Baselines: Scope; schedule or budget baselines.
When writing the project management plan or the approaches depends over again on the project’s size & context. The use of the following approaches:
- The main document approach is where the full project; with all the inherent planning details is documented within the same main plan.
- The index approaches; when all auxiliary planning documents are written as detached documents & linked and referenced in an index like plan.
The few steps approach for project management planning:
- Determine on the project management framework and practice you will use in the project:
Depends upon the approach, you may require different planning styles; deliverables; details & rigor. You may have to go in front of a detailed planning procedure if you will be use a waterfall approaches. Conversely; you may have to keep the planning thin; if you will be used an agile approach’s, such as mob. And your planning may be predefined & framed in; if you have used your organization’s proprietorship methodology.
- Plan project clip for planning;
In the average at least 10% of management time should be allotted to project designing.
- Write down the checklist of all over project documents you plan or require to deliver:
The list will be generally depends on your project’s complexness; organization or methodology.
- Start planning early & continue planning during the project:
Approximately, some of the planning documents; such as the high-level agenda and scoping documents may have to keep frozen upon sign-off. Other documents; such the risk management planning and roll-out planning; will be typically required updating the project procedures.
- Continuously improvement in your planning:
Improve planning through communicating the planning results with your project team & through collecting their response regarding your planning activity. You can use this response for continuous planning progress.
As the project improvement, kept a logarithm of your planning issues to track gaps; you run along the manner. This is “planning lessons learned” document that you can also use for continuous progress.